All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:47 pm

Post subject: Knights of Rivendell: Shields
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Should I attach the shields?

Just making up my Knights of Rivendell. Still can't decide whether to fix the shields to the Knights arms. In the film I don't think they have shields.

Has anyone done them with the shields? Does anyone play them without in their Army? Can I bring myself to attach a shield to the banner bearer? What angle have people attached them at?

Post subject: Re: Knights of Rivendell: Shields
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If in doubt, blu-tack is your friend, gives you the option either way and you can mould your figures to suit your needs for each game.

One of the benefits of SBG over Warhammer is that you don't have to arm all your warband the same way which makes it really easy to hit 500/750/1000 points dead on. Whenever I find myself 2 or 3 points over the limit the first thing to go is the odd shield here and there (saves you having to drop a warrior), so the ability to add/remove shields from individual warriors if useful.

I've got 18 plastic Warg Riders painted up and take this approach with my shields, it also means I can choose to give them to the sword armed guys or the throwing weapon guys depending on the game. Finally, having a bunch of spare shields painted up is also handy for other warriors to borrow them. For example if I'm a point or two short I'll pinch a warg rider shield and blu-tack it to the back of an infantry orc.

And as a last consideration even if you do glue them, glue them on after you've painted them as you'll find both the riders and the shields far easier to paint.

But yes, unless you can guarantee you'll always want them to have shields (Uruk warriors with shields for example), I'd just blu-tack them.

Enjoy, I'd love to paint up a box of those Knights, far too much backlog to work through first though :-(

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I left mine off while I'm painting, but plan to attach them once the rider is done. The extra defense benefit is too good to ignore for me
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Magnets!