All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:35 am

Post subject: One ring Chronicles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So I thought to create this topic to write the history of this site, events, important things etc.
Help is needed so that we will have this memories alive... I would like to know especially the time the hacking happened and when the site got okay again 8)

Ages of the sunset
First age
Year 1(2004)
January 8 The site of One ring is created by silverscott and silvertiggie
January 9 Dagorlad an Administartor and the most long active member joins
February 9 DurinsBane and BucklandBrewer two administartors join along Gstormcrow,death and glory who were two Ringwraiths and Temet Nosce, Gollum rules two staff members
March 2 valpas a Ringwratih joins
April 12 Azog a Ringwraith joins
June 24 Gondorian knight a staff member joins
August 5 Potenza a Ringwraith joins
October 18 Tobold Hornblower a staff member joins
December 14 Nygyll of Wyvernhole a Ringwraith joins

Second age
Year 2(2005)
The site is redesinged
April 21 Throh Clawhammer a ringwraith joins
May 17 MacGothmog an administrator joins
August 6 LotrCrown a Ringwraith joins

Year 3(2006)
February 8 Erunion a Ringwraith joins
March 20 Curunir a Ringwraith joins

Year 4(2007)
November 9 Red Corsairs a Ringwraith joins
December 19 Tidoco a staff member joins

Year 6 (2009)
May 4 Potenza leaves his Ringwraith rank and sort after Erunion take his place
December 2 First painting challenge

Third age aca Dark age
Year 7(2010)
The site is redesinged again
and somewhere in the mid of the year it gets hacked

The Dawn ages
First age
August 17? The site revives from it's hacking starting a new series of ages

Year 8(2011)
September 1st The first alternative painting challenge numbered as the 13th
October 9-10 The site receives a minor hack

Second Age
October 12 The site is fully revived

Year 9(2012)
January 29 GothmogTheWerewolf is the first to achieve to become an elven elder
February 12 Deam Marshes Spectre takes the record as the person who has won most painting challenges

Last edited by Hilbert on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: One ring Chronicles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So, when will the Early Age end? Maybe someone should create a Silmirilon like history of the One Ring.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hilbert wrote:
February 12 Deam Marshes Spectre takes the record as the person who has won most painting challenges

:rofl:

Good job though, looks a little bland however, but then again, what really else counts as worth mentioning on a forum?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

'Like'

See if an Adminstrator or Ringwraith wants to add anything to this. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Interesting idea. There have been many different staff members in the past so I'll try and add what I can when I get a chance. I just need to research to check what I input is correct.

I don't know if it's worth including the bit about having more posts than Alan. Alan and Brian (Dagorlad and DurinsBane) both had in excess of 6000 posts before the forum was pruned and lots of old posts that were taking up server space were deleted.

And the rank of Elven Elder might not be worth adding either supposing the old ranking system returns once the website is back to it's old self.

There are lots of different events that can be added to this, such as the site redesign in 2008/9 (or something), the site hacking etc. Also I think it's very important that silvertiggie and silverscott are not left out of this as it was they who created the One Ring.

I think it's a nice idea though and I'll spend some time over the next few days to dig up details of certain special events (such as the first One Ring Awards).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:46 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Quote:
March 2 valpas the first Ringwratih joins

So that makes me the Witch King? Woot! ...um, ahem, "Give up the halfling, She-elf!"

Seriously, the history should be collected before we forget the early years. If I remember correctly, silverscott and silvertiggie founded the site, like Jake said, and there were also two other admins, Ugluk and Arwen (?). I think some of the ringwraiths around the early times were Gstormcrow, death and glory (?), with Alan and Brian, and maybe some others.

We also had a Hall of Fame gallery where the monthly (?) painting competition winners and later the Awards winner entries were posted.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nygyll of Wyvernhole and Curunir were also Ringwraiths back in the day, as was Erunion for a time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks, I will search as much as I can but I also need help for this... The early age ended with the hacking and so I need an exact date for this as well as others...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Don't worry I'll give you a hand when I have some time.

BTW - Gstormcrow and death and glory were Ringwraiths, not Administrators. I think Ugluk and Arwen were also administrators with scott and tiggie back in the very early days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I searched them in members, they were creators :?:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

silverscott and silvertiggie are the creators.

Personally, I think it would be better to not put 'were the first Ringwraiths', 'was the third Ringwraith' etc. Some people joined after other Ringwraiths joined but were promoted before so unless we can find exact data of who became a Ringwraith when it's impossible to guess what order people joined the staff in. As I don't think Gstormcrow and death and glory were the first Ringwraiths, I think Dagorlad was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Red Corsairs wrote:
Interesting idea. There have been many different staff members in the past so I'll try and add what I can when I get a chance. I just need to research to check what I input is correct.

I don't know if it's worth including the bit about having more posts than Alan. Alan and Brian (Dagorlad and DurinsBane) both had in excess of 6000 posts before the forum was pruned and lots of old posts that were taking up server space were deleted.

I was going to mention this. Post count isn't really valid anymore, since everyone who had registered before the hack lost hundreds if not thousands of posts when the site was recovered, as Red Corsairs had said, Dagorlad and Durin's Bane were on near 6000, and there were many other high posting members. I lost about 150 if I remember correctly.

Red Corsairs wrote:
Nygyll of Wyvernhole and Curunir were also Ringwraiths back in the day, as was Erunion for a time.

I was going to say you need to say when Erunion was promoted (Did he replace Potenza?). I didn't even notice that he was no longer a Ringwraith until you pointed it out. :oops:

Overall, see if Jake can help you, with the sourcerous powers being a Ringwraith brings. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Ah The One Ring history! What a nice idea!

There are several old team members missing, and I can notice some stuff that I don't believe is totally correct.
The founders were Amanda aka silvertiggie and and Gordon aka Silverscott. When they sort of gave up, they passed the responsability to Alan aka Dagorlad (the code guru and terrain master) and Brian aka Rutta0208, who later became DurisBane (dioramist excelcior, in spite of really poor taste on beer). I dont think Neil aka Ugluk and Lisa aka Arwen were ever admin, but they were both staff for a while. Me and Bart, though long timers (in his case, long time AND fat), only recentelly became admin.

The terms Ringwraith and Admin are actually sort of a recent thing, and there used to be quite a bit of different staff jobs, like Lorekeepers, Competition Comittee, Istari and some other fancy names though most of the times we all do a bit of everything (or more often than not, we do nothing at all).

I remember some earlier staff that isnt listed either, but were major contributors to the place we are today:

I remember staff members like good ol'd Iscarquell... really nice guy back then, but never stopped drinking and eating BBQ and degenerated in TheBucklandBrewer (his dream is to work in a beer factory!). There was also Darren aka GStormcrow (he was in a band), Dave aka Gondorian Knight (he knew how to tango , and also hummmmed a lot), Rob aka Temet Nosce (he basicly did nothing), Fergus aka Thrór Clawhammer (really nice and smart guy), Mark aka Tobold Hornblower (great painter and the politest guy ever), Tony aka Nygyl the Wyvernhole (he was mad! Mad I tell you!), Tim aka Tidoco2222 aka Tidoco (flawless minis, I believe he likes trains)... not 100% sure if Kane was or not, but I think he was, and I think Gollum Rules! (Stewart Gibbs, not one of the Bee Gees) was too.

The #middle_earth IRC room was founded, if I was told correctly, by a member named Gollom (from who I was lucky enough to never see pictures) and was mantained and moderated by the OR staff since, with the help of lots of regular 'chatters', who hold the @ Moderator logo in that place. At the moment, the room is moderated by the regular OR staff and Doug aka usagidoug.

The One Ring Awards had several incarnations, and should definetely be a part one the list. The info is prolly saved somewhere deep in the OR dungeons.
OR had several layouts (I remember at least 3, before this temporary we have now), with different upgrades added to them every now and then. This includes smaller but also major features like Alans Custom built Article system made of OR a great reference regarding everything hobby, or later, the Coin/Inventory system, for instance.

Dude, thanks for this... This just reminded me just how much I love this place and how important it has been to me for almost a decade. Met some really nice folk in here and made good friends for life. And I dearly miss all the oldies that are not that regulars anymore and all the crazy conversations that we used to have.

Sorry, got a bit sentimental here... I'f nazgul had faces I'd have a tear on my cheek. :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I stepped up as a Ringwraith around the time that Potenza stepped down. During the hack, I was taking a bit of a break from the hobby for personal reasons and so I guess my services were no longer needed. (Really, the OR is one of the best-run, amicable internet forums I have ever seen so moderating was very easy.) I never pawned my Ring of Power, so if the Dark Lord ever needs my services again, I will be ready. ;)

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

And here's a visual history of OR.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ah, Mac! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I remember the 2005 version of the site very well. That's what it looked like when I first joined.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I haven't been a member for as long as you Miguel, but I too remember a lot of those names. I also remember the 2005 and 2010 layouts fondly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys all for your support... As I see, I remember the third desing and I can see from this that the site was hacked before one or two years I think... Anyone who remmbers must post it 8) Little by little we will keep history here and even if Lotr wargame is cancelled(you never know with Gw) we will remember the good old days here and play with the spirit to keep it alive in our hearts and souls :D
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The site was hacked mid 2010 I think. Not sure of the exact date, though I think it was 17th August 2010 it came back online.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Added it 8)