All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:07 pm

Post subject: Deeping Wall - Helms Deep
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My friends and I played the Deeping Wall Scenario from the Two Towers Journey book, but we used the Hobbit Rules. It was fun, though I must say, even though Uruk Hai blew up the wall, the elven archers were too strong. In the past, I played using the Rohan archers in the regular scenario, and it's hard for the Rohan guys to win with them, but when you switch them out for the eight elven archers, it totally swings the game.

Check it out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terrainmodel/sets/72157630429550440/
 Post subject: Re: Deeping Wall - Helms Deep
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome to the One Ring! Very cool set of photos and amazing terrain. I hope we'll be seeing more of your battle pictures in the future.

Is the hole in the wall some changeable part in the wall so that you can insert it there if the Uruks manage to blow it?

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:16 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lovely photos, great to see some of the classic scenarios being played. Interesting to hear your thoughts, I remember playing the next scenario (Into the Breach I think?) and finding much the same. When played with 12 Rohan warriors behind the wall the uruks slaughtered them and ran through easily but when we replaced them with 8 elves the elves slaughtered the uruks and stemmed the tide. Really demonstrated the importance of Fight value in SBG!

We've modded it a bit (as we always do with the scenarios) to make what we feel is a balanced affair with an equal chance of both sides winning.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I plan on picking and choosing. I need to teach my friends how to play, so the next scenario will likely be Theoden rides out so that they can learn how Gandalf uses his magic. We've already played the Fords of Isen scenarios, so they're pretty good at cavalry, monsters, etc. The plan is to play the full siege with about 2000 points each side and for the Good guys, about seven hundred of those points are cavalry that arrive with Erkenbrand/Eomer depending on which version they'd like to play.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you Gentlemen.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great pictures - would love to read a complete battle report. I noted another set of photos in Flickr with another Helm's Deep, plus models both individually and on War of the Ring movement trays. Have you played a scenario with a combination of SBG / WotR rules?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You must have seen my old Helm's Deep, which was a combination of the gate that Games Workshop built and then some of my own built walls. I've worked with the Eslo on a bunch of other things before, so I knew the quality of their work. It's top-notch and affordable, considering what some other companies charge for scratch built stuff. My favorite companies for terrain are Eslo and Total Battle Miniatures. I have a WWII set that Total Battle built, and it's amazing, too.

As for a battle report, I don't really type them. I just take photos. Bottom line from this last game: when you switch the Rohan archers with elven archers in the Deeping Wall scenario, it totally changes the scenario. The Rohan archers couldn't kill anything, but the elves ended up killing 7 Dunlending guys even before they reached the wall. Then, Legolas, with deadly shot killed all the flaming brand berserkers. Hence, when the Uruk Hai detonated the explosives, they used several regular guys, because they needed all the rolls to make it happen. As a result, a bunch of Uruk Hai died when the wall blew up. Then, Aragorn got into the breach, and that was it. The pike men couldn't get through, and they didn't enough men to scale the walls by that point.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I totally forgot. When I saw Celevue that you wrote me an email, I was thrilled. I've enjoyed reading your posts. Your terrain is simply amazing! In terms of combining WOTR with SBG, I haven't done it. I've played a couple of WOTR, and I like it, but I like SBG more, even though you can get bogged down sometimes with a lot of guys. I wanted to do Helms Deep, and frankly, SBG is better suited for that than WOTR.