All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:03 pm

Post subject: Hunt for Lurtz
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We wanted to try unusual scenario and have decided for one from the old "One rulebook ". It’s called “Cornered!”. The Good force is trying to kill the leader of the Evil force. He was marauding through the country and left only death and fire behind, but now is trapped among much more numerous pursuers! If the leading servant of the Enemy escapes from the table, Good side loses. His death or escape – nothing else matters. The Evil force doesn’t need to take courage tests because of its desperate situation. We have also decided not to use Heroic marches, as the scenario is designed for old rules and strongly depends on movement.

Will the dwarfs from Dain’s halls of Erebor punish pillaging uruk-hai? The situation of marauders' leader Lurtz seems hopeless, but we will see...

With great respect to Gimli’s valour, Lurtz decides to run the opposite direction. The dwarfs follow him as fast as they can:

Lurtz doesn’t want to get slowed by marsh or forest, and is heading to the gap in dwarf northern line. From the point of dwarf captain Tír, the situation looks much more dramatic than from the bird's-eye view. Those uruks look angry and bloodthirsty!

The decisive moment of the battle occurs when Tír shouts “For Erebor!” (declares Heroic move) and pins Lurtz far away from borders of the dwarf territory. Uruk-hai ranks are little bit shredded by bow fire of dwarf rangers on the hills, but Tír must fight against odds until his kinsmen arrive. The combat starts hopefully for the warriors of Isengard, when their second captain slays dwarf banner bearer (after declaring Heroic combat). But the fight goes on and the uruk-hai are mostly unable to pierce strong armor of the dwarfs, nor crash their round shields and crested helmets.

After desperate fight, Lurtz is surrounded without any chance for mercy. Axes of dwarf captains are swinging to his head, as he shouts his horrible battle cry for the last time...

Next time we start a campaign of linked scenarios from the War of the Ring period. Hopefully, Valar will stay with the Khazad... And I will make sharper pictures!

Last edited by Paboook on Sun May 19, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Hunt on Lurtz
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice report! Was this even points? it seems that the Uruks were totally outmatched and out positioned.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great pictures, looks like Lurtz never had much of a chance! Shame about my favourite character!
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice report :-D Would you be able to give us the army lists please :)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for comments :)

Unfortunately, I don’t have even the army list for my own force anymore. On my side (600 points) were a lot of dwarf rangers and warriors and few khazad guards to fill the points; with Lurtz and his second captain was a group of uruk scouts, some with shields and some with bows (300 points).

The position of both armies was set by the scenario: Lurtz & co. was positioned in the center of the board, while Good models had to be at least 12" from the closest enemy.

The crucial thing for the dwarfs was to pin Lurtz. Allowing this to the small group on the north was fatal mistake of Isengard. Lurtz was stuck in fight for several turns without much success and then dwarf reinforces arrived. If Tír and his 8 men were busy with the second uruk captain and half of uruk scouts, his chances for escape would be high.

We were not sure about the balance of this scenario, but with our choice of models it didn’t seem too bad. Obviously, it would be very different with faster models, especially with cavalry or flying monsters.