All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:20 pm

Post subject: First Game - Mines of Moria
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yesterday we (my son, daughter and I) played our first LoTR SBG Game.
I'd bought the Mines of Moria set from an independant shop and the Sourcebooks and Hobbit Rulebook. We used the latest rules and sourcebooks and played the Hobbit - Balin's Tomb scenario but had no shamans or captain models and thought we'd keep it simple and just have goblin hoard and troll vs fellowship. Points match is a bit out as Fellowship is nigh on 800 points in Free Peoples book and Cave Troll and Goblin force supposed to be 250 + troll.

The Goblins (controlled by my son (aged 10) held the doorway with a mix of shield and spear goblins with a couple of bows as well. The trapdoor goblins (2 each side) were shield and bow on either side. Legolas was behind the tomb, Gimli in front and Boromir and Aragorn the flanks.

First turn to good and they charge forward, my daughter (aged 8) moves the hobbits behind a pillar and charges Gandalf towards one trapdoor, Legolas moves to the other. Meanwhile Gimli, Aragorn and Boromir move forward to close the doorway down. The Goblins countercharge and battle commences. Goblin archers let loose but failed to hit anything, Legolas also shoots but rolls 3 x 1s! Too much Mirkwood Ale the night before. The fights were short despite spear support the Goblins loose every fight.

Turn 2 and they roll a draw on priority - the Troll arrives! Quickly the troll charges Gimli as other goblins move to engage Boromir and Aragorn. The trapdoor goblins close in on Legolas and Gandalf. Legolas counter charges and decides to melee the goblin based on his last shooting performance. Gandalf casts Sorcerous Blast and knocks 2 Goblins over on the left flank. The hobbits are still consolidating behind the pillar ensuring they safe from Goblin arrows. Legolas quickly dispatches the Goblin as do Aragorn and Boromir. The troll and Gimli square up with Gimli winning and wounding the troll.

Turn 3 and good win priority. Legolas charges another goblin on the right. Gandalf moves towards the left trapdoor and the 2 goblins he'd blown over last turn. Gimli, Aragorn and Boromir charge the troll. A spear goblin backs up the troll. Goblin archers let loose as 3 arrows head for Gandalf but all miss or fail to wound. Goblin archers also fire into combat but fail to hit. Legolas dispatches another Goblin on the left. Gimli and friends fight the troll who goes down fast to a flurry of axe blows from Gimli.

Game Over.

A few hiccups - not used to the roll required so lots of chart referrals and rule referrals slowed us down but not bad. Without captains and shamans I think the Goblins were in for a bad time they were falling like flies to heroes.

Post subject: Re: First Game - Mines of Moria
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Adam, there are several versions of the Balin's Tomb scenario available. The one from the MoM 'Getting Started' booklet is designed for complete beginners and as such features no special rules, there are no Goblin Heroes, Gandalf is only given one spell (Blinding light) and Legolas only gets to shoot once per turn. You may find the scenario more balanced this way. The other Balin's Tomb scenarios are designed for the full rules and do feature Goblin Captains. Until you get the models for Goblin Captains and Shamans there is nothing wrong with proxying normal Goblins as heroes for games at home.

Good luck. I tried to get my GF to play through the MoM scenarios, but she got cross with me for killing hobbits.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds like a great family game. Welcome to the hobby!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the hobby.

Quote:
Legolas also shoots but rolls 3 x 1s! Too much Mirkwood Ale the night before.

Lol, I knew Peter Jackson presented us with an idealized version of Legolas! :)

Sounds like you all enjoyed the game. Reading your report certainly brought memories of the movie back.
Keep us updated on your endeavors in the hobby, and once again welcome!