All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:27 pm

Post subject: Middle-Earth Manchester - 500pts Grey Company vs Dwarves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Introduction
One-Ringers are truly a great bunch. The passion of those who frequent these forums, allied with a warmth and patience towards beginners and those flirting with the concept of starting Lord of the Ring Strategy Battle game alike, is certainly infectious. Indeed, it is the very reason I have started the hobby! And from those initial, tentative questions in the "Beginners" thread, to making my first ebay purchases, painting up my first warbands, last night marked the historic moment of my first ever LOTR:SBG game!

This forum has now not only introduced me to an addictive and fun hobby, but also to some likeminded fans of this game in the area, whether complete beginners such as myself or more seasoned players of various gaming systems.

And so Middle-Earth has come to Manchester (Thursday evenings only!) and last night the first battle of what I hope is an epic campaign that will sprawl across years, was fought, in a hall in Cheadle between myself and the stud that is Hashut's Blessing...

Stay tuned for the battle report!

Post subject: Re: Middle-Earth Manchester - 500pts Grey Company vs Dwarves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Participants
Thermo (Stockport)
vs
Hashut's Blessing (Salford)

I (Thermo) am completely new to the hobby and this was my first ever game. Hashut, a top bloke, arrived with a touch more experience, with a background at Games Workshop, although he has always played more with the Warhammer system from what I can gather. As it was my first ever game, he was a fab teacher... patient and informative. Please note that we had a lot of fun, introducing ourselves and learning the system rather than being overly competative.

The Forces
Thermo - 500pt Grey Company
W1- Arathorn (kindly proxied by Aragorn from Hashut)
12 Rangers of Arnor (spears)

W2 - Halbarad
12 Rangers of Arnor (spears)

6 x Rangers of the North (W3-9)

Hashut's Blessing - 500pts Dwarves (forgive if I get anything wrong!)
W1 - Dain Ironfoot (fancy axe?)
4 Iron Guard (throwing axes)
2 Iron Guard (shields)

W2 - Balin (fancy axes?)
5 Dwarven Warriors (bows)

W3 - Gimli (throwing axes)
2 Iron Guard (throwing weapons)
2 Dwarven Warriors (shields)
2 Dwarven Warrios (two-handed axes)

Scenario
Once Hashut had got all his goodies out (this legend brought food, drinks... the lot) and we'd placed terrain (mine arrived that day) we rolled for the scenario.

Today we'd be playing Reconnoitre... meaning we'd roll to see which of our warbands started on the gaming board and attempt to accumulate various victory points (avoiding being broken, breaking the enemy, killing the enemy army leaders, having troops escape via the enemies boardside)

Deployment
We both rolled for which units would start on the game board, with Hashut managing to get 2 out of his 3 warband on the table (Dain and Balin) I managed to get Halbarad's warband on and 3 Rangers of the North too and deployed the main warband in the centre with the aim of reaching a stone wall about 25% up the battlefield whilst deploying RotN on my left flank.

Hashut positioned Dain's warband centrally, whilst Balin and his archers took up his right flank.

...By turn three, with me unwittingly only moving 5 inches due to how was was measuring movement, plus Hashut's Dwarves only moving 5 inches, little had happened but all units had now deployed. Gimli's warband had taken up the dwarven left flank, whilst I had deployed an additional 3 Rangers of the North on my right opposite Gimli and Arathorn's warband on my left, opposite Balin's warband.

So, this take us nicely into the battle report! To be continued... (pics to be uploaded)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Can't wait to see the rest of this
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Now I really wish I had enough time off from uni to do this.

Looking great for now, I must see the rest of your pics and read this in full. 8)

I now what you look like too, if your up for next week and I am I will tell you. Also I have 3 weeks off at easter, I need sone revision and research time, but a couple of days shouldn't be too much.

Keep it up 8) (and tell me exactly all your tactics of course...)

also, I think you mean Durin's Axe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordElrond wrote:
Can't wait to see the rest of this

I'll try get it up today before painting! Thanks for following :) You have endless enthusiasm!

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Now I really wish I had enough time off from uni to do this.

Looking great for now, I must see the rest of your pics and read this in full. 8)

I now what you look like too, if your up for next week and I am I will tell you. Also I have 3 weeks off at easter, I need sone revision and research time, but a couple of days shouldn't be too much.

Keep it up 8) (and tell me exactly all your tactics of course...)

also, I think you mean Durin's Axe.

I'm sure you'll get the odd Thursday night, that's all it'll take, no pressure either! I'm not going anywhere :)

Yup, I'm the one wearing green, looking half starved after clients and classes all day!

Hashut (Pete) is the guy with the great grin!

Haha as for tactics, not sure we had too many of those on Thursday, it was more about learning the mechanics although there were some interesting lessons on both sides me'thinks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mate I can not tell you how much I am looking forward for your first battle with your Rohirim.
But in this one I am unfortunately cheering for the fat ones.
They are my favorite faction, plus I cannot possible paint my Rangers of the North to a good standard and this has caused a great deal of aversion to them. :-X :-X
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Battle Report
With Balin and his dwarven archers making a move up towards the hill on their right flank, approximately at the centre of the board, Arathorn and his ranger warband, supported by 2 rangers of the north moved to the left of a forest on the flank to moved up and match them and hopefully pin them down with their greater range, accuracy and numbers.

In the centre, Halbarad secured the wall which overlooked a rather more open central area of the board, where Durin would be due to lead his warriors across, as they emerged out of the cover of the ruins and light woodland adjacent.

And on my right, Gimli was sneaking his warband up through the cover of the forest, which was only covered by three Ranger of the North.

Even partially covered by the low hill ahead of them, the Dwarven archers of Balin came into range of the Grey company left flank. The hail of accurate arrows soon started to leave a mark upon the Dwarven armour and it wasn't long before the Dunedain were finding the weak armour about the neck and under the armpits of the Dwarves... And with this, the first casualties of the battle (and my first kills in SBG ever!)

It was clear from this exchange that the strategy had to be to break the small dwarven force by targeting dwarves with the lowest defence BEFORE they reached my lines. If I killed 10 they would break... so this was the target. This still required sixes to kill to hardy dwarves, but the messaged was passed along the lines to the diligent grey company warbands...

In response, the dwarves attempted to take action and so in the centre they deployed in columns as they marched out into open ground, protecting those dwarves without shields with those with shields and the heavily armoured heroes of Durin's folk (all requiring upwards of 6+4s to wound)

But Balin's company had no such protection and the hill was proving little defence against the accuracy and volume of Arathorn's rangers. Decimated without firing a shot, only heroic Balin was left marching to link up with Dain in the centre, as the grey company left flank moved up to counter.

Over on the right flank, the three Rangers of the North tasked with anchoring the flank, moved backwards to avoid combat as Gimli pressed his force on, losing some dwarves on the way. Again, dwarves with shields attempted to protect their brethren, with mixed results, some being felled by arrows themselves.

In the centre, brave Dain closed in on the wall that was held by Halbarad. Wavering, half of Halbarad's force inched backwards to avoid combat, whilst the other half now focused on supporting the right flank with fire, assisting the 3 rangers of the north against Gimli's assault. With this support, those Rangers on the right now focused their line of fire towards Dain's warband in the centre, targeting the flanks of the non-shielded Iron Guards. With Arathorn's Rangers having taken and moved up on the left flank, iron guards were caught in a deadly cross-fire... resulting in the 10th casualty and the breaking of the Dwarven force.

The heroes of Durin's folk rallied their dwarves onwards, all standing fast in the oncoming onslaught that was the counter-attack of the Dunedain. Finally, throwing axes were launched at Halbarad's company and although none hill, the Iron guardsmen clambered over the wall and charged the men of the north. They were joined by dain, swinging his great battle axe he crashed into the right flank.

But it was not Dain who's axe first bit mans flesh, but Balin. Cut off and intercepted by Arathorn's warband on the left, he desperately used all his might to win his fight, slaying a ranger and temporarily beating back his foes whom vastly outnumbered him...

On the right flank, the remaining dwarves broke cover. Gimli lead the charge towards the rangers of the north, not close enough to force them into combat but throwing his axe and felling one of dunedain blood. But he was now exposed and taking wounds... and his warband crumbling around him under the intense cross fire from three directions. One dwarven warrior with a shield charged forward towards the wall where 6 rangers from halbarad's company continued to rain arrows of death upon them...

In the centre, Dain's axe was now in full swing using his might to defeat two of the 6 rangers that had him trapped against the wall.

But Balin, exhausted on the left was now surrounded, his body horribly pierced by 8 spears he fell.

With the dwarven right now completely demolished, the full weight of the Grey company was brought against the dwarves in the centre and with only one of durin's folk remaining to support a surrounded Dain... all looked lost.

But it was the death of the dwarven warrior charging the rangers at the wall which finally broke the stoic and hardy dwarves.

And so the dwarves of Hashut's Blessing were defeated by the Grey Company of Thermo. The first ever battle of our newly formed little club in Greater Manchester.

List of the fallen
Hashut lost 14 dwarves, mostly warriors without shields or iron guard with throwing weapons, along with Balin.

I lost 3 Rangers of Arnor and 1 Ranger of the North.

Dwarven remaining force - 5
Grey Company remaining force - 28

Result
Neither of us bothered to try and escape the table and just fought it out, but victory points came because the dwarves were broken at the end of the game whilst the men of the west were not.

3-0 to the Grey Company

Conclusion and observations to come below!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Constantine wrote:
Mate I can not tell you how much I am looking forward for your first battle with your Rohirim.
But in this one I am unfortunately cheering for the fat ones.
They are my favorite faction, plus I cannot possible paint my Rangers of the North to a good standard and this has caused a great deal of aversion to them. :-X :-X

Me too! Going to continue painting them up later after I finish the other ranger warband. And hopefully, the royal mail delivery collection note is for the Sons of Eorl and Mounted RRG I need to complete that force!

Haha unfortunately, the fat ones ended up as rather large pincushions!

But I think we all know why... and it has little to do with anything I or Hashut did in the battle!

Conclusion to come...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

VICTORY AND DEFEAT, SIDE BY SIDE

As you can see, we were both tired as hell and it wasn't far of midnight by this point! But it was our first game together and my first game ever, with Hashut patiently teaching me throughout the game.

Conclusion and observation

I think the gods of this game were giving me a bit of encouragement on this first ever experience of SBG and there were a number of factors as to why the result was as lopsided as it was and had little to do with our skills.

Reconnoitre was always going to be the worst scenario for the slow moving dwarven force. Although we had plenty of terrain for cover, it still allowed me a devastating number of turns of shooting as they advanced across a rather large battlefield.

Dwarves, fighting Grey company on this scenario was probably the worst situation for Hashut, who was more than a great sport throughout, offering me advice and options where I may have missed something as a beginner anyway.

His own critique was perhaps he could have considered the terrain slightly better and also avoid some of the later situations where he had no cover for the softer dwarves once I'd dominated the flanks, but it was a small and hard self judgement in a situation which had him reasonably doomed from the start.

Once I realised there was no point really shooting at anything that required an extra die to wound/kill, it was simply a case of picking targets so that by the time he reached me, his already outnumbered force was even more outnumbered.

Deployment probably didn't help him massively either, as although he deployed 2 out of 3 warbands, it mean that I practically had Arathorn's warband in reserve, with 3 extra rangers of the north. Although I was slightly worried about the right flank, it meant that I could vastly outnumber and outshoot his archers on the left and thus wrap up and wheel round on that flank whatever happened. If I could keep the Rangers of the North on the right out of combat, then they'd always we a threat to counter Gimli if he came centre to assist Dain and even then, that would involve the march into the open against the fire power coming from three directions.

None of this was particularly thought out, it was just how it happened.

It gave me a chance to learn movement phase, shooting phase (very well) in the way rules, throwing weapons, a bit of combat and trapped rules as well as breaking and courage rules.

So overall a successful night, with a great teacher and new pal.

Look forward to the next one and hearing Hashut's evaluation too!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awesome post Thermo, Even though its made me feel worse I missed out, lol
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ste271276 wrote:
Awesome post Thermo, Even though its made me feel worse I missed out, lol

Thanks mate! There'll be many more to come I'm sure, and you're going to play a massive part!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wish I live in Manchester now
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordElrond wrote:
I wish I live in Manchester now

Where do you live buddy?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Watford. Near London
Miles and miles away
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordElrond wrote:
Watford. Near London
Miles and miles away

It is indeed! Well, if you're ever up this way for whatever reason, you're more than welcome I'm sure :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great report :) Loved it :-D

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quick clarification on the army list - it was Durin's fancy axe, Dain was using Barazantathul, the Iron Guard with shields were just Dwarf Warriors with shields (had 3 and one with no upgrade, represented by a two-handed axe user) and the Easterlings you see in the picutres were stand in Rangers of the North ;)

I think army composition killed me more than anything in this mission - I have a company of Iron Guard for WotR (not got any extras yet, lol) and I always see how well people rate them so I thought I'd give them a chance - that was my downfall :D I've since tweaked the list to something I'd be more likely to use (essentially, even more Dwarfs with shields :D ). That D6 instead of 7 was killer with the bows and I didn't have enough shields/heroes to cover the Iron Guard.

As Thermo said, the board was about 5' wide instead of 4' (although we made it roughly a square, so it wasn't as long) which meant it took me forever to get to him. I think we wre on about turn 10 when I finally got to grips with him, threw an axe, hit, went over the wall and then a one to wound :D

But had an absolute blast paying - I wasn't there to win (thankfully), just to have a good time make some new mates (one will do until next time ;) ) and, turns out, teach the basics of the game. Thero picked it all up exceptionally quickly and spotted many things I didn't (mostly shooting angles - I can get a bit blinkered at times, hahaha).

I would say that if you're local, it's worthwhile coming down, without shadow of a doubt.

LordElrond - I'm from Essex, so next time I'm down that way, you can face the fat, bearded pincushions.

Highlight of thee game: Realising we were referencing Iron Guard for about 6 turns as "Squishies" before noticing and doing it on purpose thereafter.

Lowlight of the game: Finding my opinion of Iron Guard doesn't match anybody else's yet (or rather still from having used a few once or twice previously).

Learning points:
I want to bring a camera next time and maybe make a note here and there for a battle report.
Think about army composition slightly better.
Get back to painting!

Cheers Thermo and we'll duke it out on Eros' day next week ;)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You should post your armies in the "army help" forum to make sure they are fullly optimised
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To be honest, optimisation isn't an issue for me - I'd rather feel what works for me than be told what works. As in the case of the Iron Guard (yes, I didn't use them well and the scenario and pairing wasn't ideal for them), they didn't work well for me, personally - never have. I find that an army tends to work only if the person plays that style. To be completely honest though, it was a quick list that I knocked together for a friendly play around, trying to use all my iron guard to get the best feel for them and trying to hit 500pts spot on ;)

But I'm sure I'll pop up in that section at some point ;)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ElfLover wrote:
Great report :) Loved it :-D

Thanks buddy! Considering we didn't take any notes and there wasn't any particular structure to taking photos, it's the best I could do as a summary off the top of my head!

Quote:
Quick clarification on the army list - it was Durin's fancy axe, Dain was using Barazantathul, the Iron Guard with shields were just Dwarf Warriors with shields (had 3 and one with no upgrade, represented by a two-handed axe user) and the Easterlings you see in the picutres were stand in Rangers of the North ;)

Haha I knew I'd get some of it wrong :) Feel free to post up your full army list and I'll edit it into the report.

And yes, Hashut kindly allowed me to proxy some of his Easterlings to represent RotN since I hadn't received the final 3 I was waiting for. Thanks buddy!

Quote:
I think army composition killed me more than anything in this mission - I have a company of Iron Guard for WotR (not got any extras yet, lol) and I always see how well people rate them so I thought I'd give them a chance - that was my downfall :D I've since tweaked the list to something I'd be more likely to use (essentially, even more Dwarfs with shields :D ). That D6 instead of 7 was killer with the bows and I didn't have enough shields/heroes to cover the Iron Guard.

Aye, I often read how good they are in the army threads. I guess with them not getting into combat, we didn't really have a chance to see their strengths. I think more dwarves with shields would have made much more of a difference. Probably forcing me into a steady fire and retreat from the moment you entered range, until I ran out of board!!

Quote:
As Thermo said, the board was about 5' wide instead of 4' (although we made it roughly a square, so it wasn't as long) which meant it took me forever to get to him. I think we wre on about turn 10 when I finally got to grips with him, threw an axe, hit, went over the wall and then a one to wound :D

It made for a long game certainly! Haha yup, the axe hitting but not wounding was an anti-climax for you, you deserved more after your patient march across the board under fire!

Quote:
But had an absolute blast paying - I wasn't there to win (thankfully), just to have a good time make some new mates (one will do until next time ;) ) and, turns out, teach the basics of the game.

Me too, great fun! Made a new friend and was lucky enough to have a patient and willing teacher!

Quote:
Thero picked it all up exceptionally quickly and spotted many things I didn't (mostly shooting angles - I can get a bit blinkered at times, hahaha).

Thanks buddy!

Quote:
I would say that if you're local, it's worthwhile coming down, without shadow of a doubt.

Certainly! I'm sure that whilst we slowly gain a few more attendees, the focus will always be on having fun ultimately and we made a good start.

Quote:
Highlight of thee game: Realising we were referencing Iron Guard for about 6 turns as "Squishies" before noticing and doing it on purpose thereafter.

Lowlight of the game: Finding my opinion of Iron Guard doesn't match anybody else's yet (or rather still from having used a few once or twice previously).

I know... referring to the heavily armoured dwarves as squishies seemed quite strange! As you said, it's going to be a bit weird for me shooting and hitting things in future that don't require a 6 or more to wound/kill!

Quote:
Learning points:
I want to bring a camera next time and maybe make a note here and there for a battle report.
Think about army composition slightly better.
Get back to painting!

Cheers Thermo and we'll duke it out on Eros' day next week ;)

Good idea, it can be your turn next week! See you on Valentine's day haha!