All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:39 pm

Post subject: 400 point White Hand vs Grey Company
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My brother has never been a huge fan of SBG but sometimes he will give me what he calls the "honor" of playing against him. And of course never touching a rule book in his life expects me to know all the rules for my guys as well as his. I decided to try my fair with isen. here we go! :D
Legions of the White hand-
White hand Uruk Capt, with heavy armour 60
nine white hand Uruks, five with shields four with pikes and one with banner
One isengard troll 105
one feral Uruk 12
5 orcs with shield and spear 35
Allies- One Ringwrath with one extra might. 60

Grey Company
Strider with elven cloak, :aragorn: armour and bow 190 :sad:
and 24 rangers of Arnor. (he pitched a fit when i told him of the four rangers for each Du'nedain)

And we were off! We decided to do "To the Death"

We rolled the dice picked sides and deployed our forces. The Ringwrath and his Troll Slave on the right
My Uruks lead by my caption kullsa down the middle and My Feral uruk leading my orc spearman on the left. He basically deployed all his units together in the middle lead by his mighty hero of course.

The table is divided in the middle by ruins and tree's both deployment sides are bare, Good Priority first of course......

Turn 1
Strider yells for his archers to "form ranks!" in the middle and to shot down any approaching orcs that cross no-mans land. As the Archers are lining up the future king brings four spearman to go and try and tackle my Troll and Wrath. Little does he know of a little move called Transfix :mrgreen: He moves his remaining spearman and all of his swords men to take on the Feral and his tiny orc rabble. My turn consists of positioning my wrath within casting distance of Strider (darn elven garments) with out being in range of a Heroic move but wanting to hex his Royal butt at the same time :( i also told my troll to pick up a stone to throw. My Uruk Caption then lead his small but effective fighting force though the ruins of an old town they themselves probably burned to the ground. An last and the very least my Feral uruk and his guard started to make there way towards certain death:( but no matter! Victory will be mine! (Hopefully)

Turn 2
Next turn went to evil/me. First i decided to clash with his 12 rangers with my 5 orcs and there crazed leader. Second my white hand uruks were still trying to navigate though the ruins. Third MAGIC TIME! :D my favorite black dice flys though the air only to disappoint with a one! :shock: moving my Trolls half his move so that he could throw his stone would not be enough to protect my Wrath! So i had to abandon my stone to met the leader of the rangers head on. No shooting again. First combat is my feral urk on 4 rangers and my five orcs on the other eight. As my Feral uruk charges towards his enemies in a blind rage he remembers back to the deep dark prisons of Dunland were he was kept and tortured. In a blind rage he goes into combat out maned and still comes out with two heads from Arnor! The orcs wear outnumbered and lost three of there five. Strider charges the mighty beast. Never before has he seen a troll with a shield before! dodging the massive spear the he looks up at the confused troll and says "that could have skewered a wild boar!" The Troll now even more confused is quickly sent into anger when he feels this mighty Ranger dig his blade deep into huge belly.

Turn 3
Evil Priority
My bloodthirsty Feral and his remaining orcs charge the cloaked defenders. My Uruks finally make it out of the ruins becoming perfect targets for the skilled bowmen of my enemy. My Nasgul Casts Transfix Immobilizing Aragorn were he stood perfect troll bait. The Ranger's or Arnor take aim and there arrows fly slaying only one Uruk. On the left side of the battlefield his rangers outnumbered my orcs slaying all including my feral:( On the right my Armored troll takes it to Aragorn dealing out two wounds!

Turn 4
Good Priority
The remaining ten Rangers from the left advance to the middle to meet my Uruks lead by Kullsa (self named Capt). Which in turn get DESTROYED thanks to my Banner and Kullsa getting two man heads to himself. Aragorn charges my troll a second time this time inflicting another wound slicing of one of his giant hands. My Wraith Casts Transfix but yet again rolls a one! :-X No shooting this turn by the way.

Turn 5
Evil Priority
Kullsa advances to the Ranger with bows losing three men in the process. My Nasgul Casts Transfix at my brother's Strider but he shrugs off the spell as if it were a mere cramp also deflecting a massive troll spear in the process in turn cutting of the trolls other hand leaving him to bled out for the rest of his short smelly life.

Turn 6
Evil Priority ( again! :D )
Kullsa and his uruks-hia finally meets the pesky men who are to afraid to deal combat from far away and deal even blows losing and killing four. Aragorn in rage of battle calls a Heroic move and charges my Nasgul!!!!!! :sad: In an attempt to stop him i cast THREE black darts at the mighty hero hitting with two he uses a fate points to recover BOTH :( he charges me in a lucky insane rage troll blood dripping from his sword he casts the Demon back to Mordor whence he came. Terrified as to seeing there leader killed Kullsa retreats with his men to fight another day.

Final thoughts.....

Aragorn is way to bloody good. He might cost a lot but in smaller games like this i think i need to tie him up with single guys and just go for breaking as well as cast drain courage on Strider himself. What do yall think? More to come if you guys liked it. :puppy:
 Post subject: Re: 400 point White Hand vs Grey Company
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think you only lost because your brother ignored the bow limit rule about rangers of the north, otherwise that game would have been way in your favor, you chose a better force, also if i were you i wouldn't have wasted both the troll and the wraith on aragorn maybe losing the 5 orcs for more might, fate and will for the wraith would have been a better choice, especially given the fact aragorn was on the field, if your brother often spends points on powerful heroes then use a powerful wraith OR a troll, not both, the numbers that can be gained by dropping a big model (especially in 400pts) are essential to keeping a big hero busy while his guys die. That troll could have killed most of those rangers while 10 orcs could have kept aragorn busy if you fed him 1 model at a time. On another note why not use an uruk shaman in place of the captain, if you are going to use the troll anyway, there is no point having another "brute" on the field heres a list:

Uruk shaman 50pts
isengard troll 110pts
10 orcs with shield, bow or spear 60pts
18 uruk hai warriors with shield or pike 180pts

I have played as and against isengard many times and i often win because people go for the expensive captains and hard hitters like beserkers rather than choose a shaman, i find this would be a more challenging army to face.