All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:01 pm

Post subject: Idea for Multi-player Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've had an idea so firstly I would like to know if anyone has come across this sort of thing before. Secondly I'd like to know if you think it's a good idea and thirdly I'd like to know how feasible you think this idea would be.

My idea is based on the old battle companies system where small bands of warriors would play in a series of short games and gain experience points and perks at the end of each scenario. However, I think this could be expanded upon by including multiple factions on the same board which is large enough and diverse enough to facilitate special terrain rules, the option to retreat from encounters and tactical (but not unbreakable) alliances. Encounters would therefore not always wipe out a faction giving players who have been initially unfortunate a change to regroup, bargain for an alliance or look for equipment (see below).

Instead of (or as well as) gaining perks and extra warriors after encounters (which would have to be defined in a game where encounters can be left at will - maybe when a force is broken or flees more than 12" from the other faction(s) involved the later has "won" that encounter) the perks are achieved through actions taken on the board. For example a miniature with an axe can stand in base contact with a tree for a full turn to gain wood which can be used to make stakes or palisades. Perhaps a wandering elf/ranger/scout/bandit will be hiding in a piece of terrain determined by a dice roll. Equipment stores or treasure hordes could be placed containing weapons or more exotic objects with special rules like horns, banners or ropes. High ground or fortified positions could included to cause factions to fight for the advantage.

If experience was gained by factions after encounters this would probably increase the amount of actual combat situations. I was thinking after encounters casualties could be rolled for in a similar way to in the existing Battle Companies rules to give the losing side more of a chance and other rules could be introduced to give the losing sides a bit of a boost (a battle hardened rule that increases fight/courage up to a point or something). Obviously the winning faction would get a bigger boost like promotions, stolen equipment from the dead or special rules.

Like I said, this is just an idea so let me know what you think or if I've just subconsciously stolen a pre-existing format of play. I'd like to know if any hardcore gamers think it's feasible to play a game in this way. If there is any interest then I would consider writing up some basic rules for the more experienced gamers to build on and improve - possibly on a wiki so it's easier to keep up to date (which would make sense for source-books and rulebooks even if GW charged us for access but anyway...) and hopefully this will become a thing!
 Post subject: Re: Idea for Multi-player Battle Companies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey buddy! Good to see you here :)

It's a great idea… Jamie and I are hoping to run one for the camera soon!

Check out this thread http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24165 as I think someone is on it, maybe you can help each other?