All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:08 pm

Post subject: Angmar vs Arnor.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tonight I will hopefully be beating my cousin playing strict Angmar vs Arnor armies tonight with 1,004 points a side.

ANGMAR.
The Witch King, crown of Morgul and armoured horse.
The Tainted, horse.
Gulavhar.
Shade.
Angmar Shaman.
23 orcs shields.
20 orcs spears.
3 orcs shields and spears.
2 orcs with banners.
6 spectres.

ARNOR.

Arvedui
Malbeth the seer.
3 Captains of Arnor with shields.
3 Rangers of the North with spears.
7 Dunedain, 2 with spears.
33 Warriors of Arnor 3 banners.
15 rangers of Arnor, 7 with spears.

We will be having a pretty standard fight to the death!
 Post subject: Re: Angmar vs Arnor.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have set up the board and picked the scenery and the armies, my cousin gets to pick which of the two forces he will use. On balance I would prefer to field the low cunning of Angmar, but would be quite happy to take up the challenge represented by fielding a purist Arnor army.

The key issues and challenges with the two armies are:

Arnor.

High average fight value of 4. Though nothing above a 5. However with a massive 20 might points on the table, that buys a lot of heroic actions, in particular strike. For a good 1000 point army, they have a lot of models and must loose a massive 37 models before they are broken, which is when the trouble will begin, having a painfully low courage of 2 for the average soldier. They also have a frightening amount of bows, and should be able to whittle down the enemy somewhat before engaging them. Every effort to head hunt the enemy leaders must be taken early on, so that the orcs can be taken on without supporting magic etc if Arnor are to win this.

Angmar.

Have relatively low numbers but should pack a real punch when they get their. Channeled Fury should negate 1 in three orc casualties within range, and the Witch Kings and the Tainted's Harbinger of Evil and the tainteds miasmatic presence should really hurt the enemy when they want to charge anything fearsome, make heroic moves or raise the courage to stay on the battle field. I did not bother with orc bows, even with trackers as it would frankly be a mugs game entering a shooting match against Arnor. The shade and the banner should really give the otherwise average Mordor orc the edge over the warriors of Arnor. I always enjoy using the spectres which will have the job of luring the enemy in towards their death, or luring away spear support vital to the enemy lines. Their causing fear will be vital when they get charged, as I frankly don't see it happening to much from the warriors of Arnor when in range from the Harbringer rule. Gulavhar should be fun and used to head hunt evil heroes. The army does posses precious little might in contrast to Arnor, and will often be without subject to enemy heroic moves, however the Tainted should help out against this. The WK'S Makes him a serious close combat force to be reckoned with. The Ring Wraiths high courage and the effects of the fury should be absolutely critical in this battle. I also anticipate a lot of courage draining to go on.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here are a few images of the Good forces.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow. They look amazing! :yay:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nice.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A very proud force!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cheers for the encouraging comments.

My cousin absolutely whipped me using Arnor! I lost a quarter of my army befor I got into combat, and had some real duff dice rolls in the really big critical combats when I got there. I did manage to kill Arvedui with Gulavhar, but loosing the shade to the first courage test was a crippling loss!
Heres a picture of the Witch king who remained undefeated on the table until he ran out of will.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.