All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:05 am

Post subject: WOTR: The Elves sully the pure snows of Carn Dum
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

We awoke around our campfires to see a chill sight marching silently, like the dead, toward us across the snow of our homelands. The Elves had come. Stealer's of children, alien myrmidons of alien gods, allies to those who would conquer the lands of our forefathers, a foe out of legend and nightmare.

Here they were, nightmare made real, gliding towards us without sound or expression and leaving no trace in the snow with their steps. Brave veterans shivered and not from the chill winter air.

They can bleed though - when cut by cold iron, and they will find that we are not without dread allies of our own.

This was a 1000pt WOTR battle, Shieldwalls deployment and for VPs.
The Elves brought along Galadriel, the Twins and Cirdan. There was a unit of three coy Cohort; a unit of three coy Galadrim with Longbow; three coy Woodelves and four coy Galadrim with Glaives and Shields.

The brave defenders of the Carn Dum plateau were led by the 'King of Carn Dum' (Thrydan), assisted by the Nazgul Dwimmerlaik and Tainted; the Troll Cheiftain Buhrdur stalked somewhere about the outskirts of the fray. The bulk of the forces were two formations of five coy Carn Dum warriors, another of four coy, two coy of Carn Dum (Mordor) Siege Bows and a lone Siege bow to round things out. The force was meant to contain borrowed Angmar Orcs, but the Elven player forgot to bring them. I have the models on order.

If you have read this blog before you will know I don't rate the Elves as a WOTR force and like to houserule when playing like minded players. In the case of this fight, the Elves benefited from their Glaive armed troops striking before other infantry, their Longbow ignoring Shields (hitting on 5s within 18" vs the bulk of my army - ouch), Epic Strike being less important, so their base fight values count for more (the 'King of Carn Dum' goes from being awesome to pretty average in a duel, Nazgul fear Elven heroes), and my Wraiths were mastery 2 not 3.

You can read the full report here: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/09/b ... field.html

Post subject: Re: WOTR: The Elves sully the pure snows of Carn Dum
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice indeed... It reminds me of a scenario from BFME 2 ROTWK... Again Angmar prevailed :D
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice battle here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys.

The Elves are something different and it was cool to take on that army (with a new owner!) again. He has some tweaks in mind for the next outing. My Orcs arrived and are being assembled right now but are WGF... so many pieces and I have 72 orcs to do. We'll see how tough I am with less elite heavy inf to learn on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

really cool, i like the fact that yoou made your own movement trays. always good to see that. lovely battle as well.