All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:51 am

Post subject: The Rise of Angmar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

New supplement The Rise of Angmar has been announced along with a host of new miniatures https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... of-angmar/
 Post subject: Re: The Rise of Angmar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm excited for the new supplement and miniatures.

I'm a little more leery of the new rulebook and army books. Hopefully there are no major changes -- but if it's just tweaks, do we need new books? Guess we'll see.....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:45 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Rise of Angmar is up for pre-order next weekend. Scroll down to see the Middle-earth releases.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... to-angmar/
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pre-orders are up.

I ended up ordering it all. I'm happy to support my hobby, but I must say the total price was eye-watering... :sad:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thank you for supporting the hobby! The only item I was interested in was the Rise of Angmar book but only online and limited stock? Not to mention the price! If my lgs gets a copy I will probably bite the bullet and get it. I usually buy the books for the scenarios and painting ideas but since I won't be buying the figures it won't bother me if I don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I worry that we're in a spiral where the high prices make gamers go third-party, which lowers the number of units GW sells, which makes them raise prices, which make gamers go third party, which .....

I hope I'm wrong because that doesn't end well.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am very excited for this release! I am less enamoured with the price hikes, having not bought a GW miniature in over a year these new prices are quite shocking.

At any rate, I am very much looking forward to flicking through the new book and hopefully trying out the campaign at some point. I did just notice that the launch date is 07-09-24, I was expecting a one week window between pre-order and release, but it seems this release is two weeks away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

At first skim the variety of scenarios in Rise of Angmar look pretty interesting.

But the big Fornost scenario calls for 36 Warriors of Carn Dûm, with the packs of 6 being $68 each. Plus you need a Captain of Carn Dûm as well. So just that portion -- never mind the new heroes and Knights of Arnor -- is $408, plus whatever you value the captain at.

Oof.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is what I have been doing with the last few books, determining which is the most expensive scenario. I feel that GW has gone away from someone playing the scenarios solo and you almost need a club or work at GW to do them now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think proxy figures could be the way to try out the army of Cairn Dum and play some of the bigger scenarios.

Not sure how well they scale in, but Victrix Germanic warriors look like they could be a reasonable match to me ... you get 60 figures in a bundle, with lots of spears, shields and clubs, and they have a suitable look. The Viking figures are a bit too much like Dunland or Rohan I think.

Any other ideas?

https://www.victrixlimited.com/collecti ... 2927197283
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Proxies are certainly always a possibility -- I've used them myself for the Flies & Spiders scenario (http://davetownsend.org/Battles/LotR-20171221/) -- but I'm just surprised when GW puts us in a position where those of us without unlimited money practically have to go that way.

Particularly so because all of the recent books have been great about matching force requirements to the boxes/sprues (IOW, multiples of 4 for orcs with shield or spear and multiples of 2 for orcs with bow or 2h weapon, etc).
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As I play War of the Ring, back in the day there was no Carn Dum troops. However, there was a suggestion on the troops that was found in the Battlehosts book, page 73. The photos and text showed the use of the warriors of the dead that were painted up in uniforms of reds and browns with worn, grimy clothes and equipment because they "cared little for maintaining their weapons or appearance". I have 48 of them, including some converted banners and horn blowers.

I am sure you could find a photo of the troops somewhere to copy the style. It will save you a lot of money to go this route, and I consider it to be "canon" since it was proposed in an official GW book, so it's not like you are making it up. Point to the page in the book during a tournament and you should get the go-ahead to use them. It also kind of makes sense since the army lists also include "army of the dead" within them, so the uniforms and equipment match.

With that said, I also had proxies for the werewolves, but at the time all I could find was the reaper figs. These certainly look more like humanoid-changing types rather than the beasts themselves, so I will be updating my army with the new figures as soon as I can afford to (geesh, $74 for two models???).