All times are UTC

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit pre-orders on 22nd November
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

turwaitheon wrote:
Gene Parmesan wrote:
Most looks promising, but I'm really disappointed at the 3 pack of archers.

Agree. But will get 12 anyway.

I won't, not on student wages anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Why finecast? The latest releases from GW have been big plastic sets for 40k and warhammer but The hobbit gets finecast. Why a plastic Legolas and Tauriel and the rest of the the hobbit character range finecast...? and now probably finecast warriors :(
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Johnnie wrote:
Why finecast? The latest releases from GW have been big plastic sets for 40k and warhammer but The hobbit gets finecast. Why a plastic Legolas and Tauriel and the rest of the the hobbit character range finecast...? and now probably finecast warriors :(

Because there is nowhere else to realese finecast except us. They are not going to do finecast miniatures anymore in the future so they have to spend what they have.

Visit my WIP!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Creaky wrote:
Finecast was a sad possibility we were all prepared for. While stocks last is almost crushing.

Wondr how many bowmen to get. 24 would be my default answer, but if they're not 100% bow limit then I'll just get a dozen. Difficult to tell since the book isn't up for preorder too, and the damned things might be gone in an hour or two (i bet they've made, like, three packs or something).

Theyre Mirkwood Rangers with armor dude. They'll probably come 10 to a box again, and their bow limit will be 100%.

rigg1313 wrote:
I hope this is fake because... finecast...

And Thranduil on horse? don't you mean Elk?

Yeah....I will still(one day) make a conversion of him on an elk.

Dr Grant wrote:
It's the Monday before White Dwarf is released on the Friday. This is when news starts to escape. In the move to weekly releases it makes perfect sense that they'd release the models in waves - race by race seems a sensible way forward with all the elves coming out together. I'm 99% sure that this list is legit.

As for the content, it looks good, Finecast was always the likely choice and the Finecast Heroes last year (Beorn, Thranduil, Master, Alfrid etc.) were far nice than the plastics (Leggy and Tauriel). I welcome a new Tauriel sculpt in particular. Shame about the bowmen but hey-ho, I'm sure Thranduil and Tauriel will be in my basket on Saturday :-)

Yeah the finecast heros are much nicer. Only problem is the older ones broke fairly often(and I dont mean points match) . I agree with Dr. Grant though.....Id much prefer the heros in finecast and regular troopers in plastic. At least with the last set of finecast, they havent broken as much. Just the first Hobbit set.

rigg1313 wrote:

Yeah I just looked it up on warseer the same guy has posted up reliable leeks before.
They will direct only I'd say after their initial release.
Selling only the archers is so weird? What about sword and spear mirkwood elves, hopefully they will be in a box? Fingers Crossed.

Like I mentioned earlier^ they are mirkwood rangers with armor more than likely......

Crucium Giger wrote:
I know Amy would have liked to see the Bowmen as a plastic set and not a 'finecast 3' job like the Orcs (who I was still holding some hope of appearing in plastic until now) but I'm sure she'll pick some up along with the characters.

Yup. Im not paying a penny for 3 packs. If they were in boxes, GW would again get hundreds of dollars for me. If finecast 3 packs, they make 0.
================================

Not to take away from the idea of new releases in the topic but one thought.....do any of you play Mirkwood Rangers? I do fairly often when Im good, and I have one thing to say.

Even in a plastic box, Im really not ready to pay ***A PROJECTED*** 15 points per rangers just to put armor on them....Idk if anyone else is, but Im fine using the unarmored ones with 2 attacks at fight five. Yeah, they die quick, but youre not supposed to get to the point where they are rolling to wound on you that easily.

Just a thought.....as for a reply to the initial topic, its a sad release for those of us who are more gamers than hobbyists. When I sit down and work, I can do decently looking table ready miniatures, but I cant sit still, and I definitely dont have the talent that you guys generally do.

As a gamer.....the Mirkwood armored bowmen are worthless, and everything else has been released. Hell, I might buy another legolas or Tauriel if theyre cool enough. Even Thranduil. But generally......for the prices I dont know if Im willing to spend as much on two figures as I do a tank of gas.

I might buy the Mirkwood Armored captain though if he has a cool stat line and defense five.

My initial impressions though, is that they are releasing the elves first because they want people to waste/spend their money on old profiles and re done models, when later on, for evil, and the dwarves, they are going to release NEW characters, models, and profiles and people are going to prefer having spent their money on those. Thats what Im most anticipating.

After seeing the previews of the movie, I think the elves(and Im a huge elf player when I play good) are the race with which we have the least to look forward to.

Not being totally negative...Im sure they will all look gorgeous......I just am super excited for other units. Especially evil. And finecast three packs or not, if they have those half troll looking things, Im buying some right away. Same with dwarven ram cavalry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I bet the Mirkwood armoured bowmen will have just the same profile as Galadhrim warriors. I also expect an Mirkwood armoured shield and spear release in a few weeks, plastic or finecast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Has anyone seen photos/footage of armoured mirkwood elves with swords or spears? From the trailer it looks like all bows, or all multi-weaponed at least.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I just picked up my The Hobbit BOFA Official Movie Guide. I want the Dwarves of RavenHill :D

I will not purchase Fine Cast period. :-X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gene Parmesan wrote:
Has anyone seen photos/footage of armoured mirkwood elves with swords or spears? From the trailer it looks like all bows, or all multi-weaponed at least.

Does not look like they have anything except bows at least in the Movie guide :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier^ they are mirkwood rangers with armor more than likely......

wouldn't it make more sense to just give palace guard a bow option?

if anyone finds out more about the while stocks last thing and whether it means that we'll only get one shot at buying these, please post asap!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the marshal wrote:
Quote:

if anyone finds out more about the while stocks last thing and whether it means that we'll only get one shot at buying these, please post asap!

Two things

A-for them to make money no, it wouldn't make sense.

B-less important but just as true....the palace guard are the elite of the elite soldiers. They are there to protect the king and kingdom.

The archers are just foot soldiers. Yes, skilled but nonetheless they have a mission objective of fighting general combat and going out to skirmish while the guard stays at home.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've seen a picture of a sword and shield line (shields the same as palace guards) and these guys did not have bows.
In the trailers there is all those spear men and I don't believe they all have bows?

So now I have hope of a 10-12 plastic kit of them.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gene Parmesan wrote:

I've seen them using spears and shields identical to the Palace Guard, I found one picture. I think I saw it in one of the production videos or appendices, I would search for it myself but I'm too busy atm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
the marshal wrote:
Quote:

Two things

A-for them to make money no, it wouldn't make sense.

B-less important but just as true....the palace guard are the elite of the elite soldiers. They are there to protect the king and kingdom.

The archers are just foot soldiers. Yes, skilled but nonetheless they have a mission objective of fighting general combat and going out to skirmish while the guard stays at home.

A: why not? because it wouldn't be a very viable warrior option in game? hasn't stopped them releasing rules and models in the past

B: is it actually stated anywhere beyond GW material that palace guard are anything more then the standing army? From what we actually see in the movie they're just standing around his palace. either way the elite of elite-ness isn't really reflected in the palace guard profile beyond the fight buff for being near thrandruil. outside that 3" bubble they really arn't any better then any other elf warrior profile we have
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah those a bunch of those guys in a production video and for 2seconds in a trailer as well. From memory.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For a brief moment I wondered if GW's plan was to make the Finecast Elves a "bow armed" supplement to the plastic Palace Guard. However, while the Palace Guard have very similar armour and (likely) equipment, those Helmets are very different.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the marshal wrote:
A: why not? because it wouldn't be a very viable warrior option in game? hasn't stopped them releasing rules and models in the past

B: is it actually stated anywhere beyond GW material that palace guard are anything more then the standing army? From what we actually see in the movie they're just standing around his palace. either way the elite of elite-ness isn't really reflected in the palace guard profile beyond the fight buff for being near thrandruil. outside that 3" bubble they really arn't any better then any other elf warrior profile we have

A-You clearly didnt read. Because if they give the palace guard a bow option, that means people can just put bows on them, and Games Workshop wont get revenue from new models......

B-Sounds like youre just fishing for an argument. Which, Im not. I mean....youre asking if its stated anywhere else besides GW.....

Does it matter, if GW is making the rules and profiles? If its stated somewhere in Tolkein texts its not going to change what GW intends for their stat lines man....

You say just standing around his palace....true. But Id think theres a difference between highly armored guards who are allowed access to guard the palace and literally be in the room with the King, and rangers who run around the outcropping forest areas killing giant spiders.....

Here's the exact quote from the book:

"Charged with the protection of the Elven King's Halls, the Palace Guard are a cadre of skilled Elven warriors chosen from amongst the noble families of ancient Greenwood the Great. Equipped with the finest weaponsto be found, they are a veritable combat elite, led by the Kings own son."

I dont know what youre looking for, but it couldnt be any more plain English to me that they are indeed elites, and not just Mirkwood Ranger soldiers.
I dont know if thats enough for you.

Im not trying to argue. Its obviously, this is just what GW intends of the Palace Guards. They are there to be the Kings Guard. Rangers are there to keep the realm in general safe. Its not like these Palace Guard are just guys...its not like.....Hey Bill, your shift. Grab all this sweet armor and these sweet weapons and go guard the Palace windows on the West side.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aye, plenty of non-bow armed guys in the trailer:

Here you can see the archers in the centre, with spear+shield around them:

Similar enough to Palace Guard to quite possibly stop GW making plastics, although it's a pity (as these look better).

The only set I really expect to be plastic is Dwarven cavalry. Laketown refugees may be too low in number to warrant plastic production, not quite sure about the various orcs yet. Monsters, bats and heroes may well all be resin, sadly. Then again, both resin and plastic is horrendously priced nowadays, so it doesn't matter much in that sense.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I see so much speculation over GW stopping releasing plastics and with a very limited range that actualy drives me sad. I think its best to wait and see in time. The fact that these new finecasts are ''available while stock lasts'' could very well mean that like laketown militia and gundabad were urgent releases when we learned that there will be 3 films and not 2.
I simply cant think any other way as the sales for gundabad and laketown were horrible due to price/quantity of minis.

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The 'available while stocks last' isn't just The Hobbit, it simply is a strategy GW have been using much recently. The same list of releases also had

· Warhammer: Khaine - Available While Stocks Last - The next installment of the End Times.

in it. Have proven to be very popular books (although limited stock may well have been because popularity far exceeded expectations, and the production process is long enough that the success of the first book couldn't yet result in a larger production run of the this book some months later).
A similar thing is true for the Hobbit plastics - when there were only two movies planned, pretty much all plastic releases would have been started before the first even went on sale. As such, it is unlikely that the success (or lack thereof) has much of an impact on the range. The relatively small number of plastic sets and high proportion of resin figures is a result of the fact that GW simply has limited interest in the range, as is quite clear from the lack of advertisement ever since the release of AUJ. Possibly disappointing sales figures will not help here, but as production of plastic sets takes a year or so, those will have little consequence for the main range that directly accompanies the movies.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is why, if we don't see at least some Plastics, then GW are actively throwing money down the drain. Some kits (laketown scenery) we know made it as far as steel mould production - to not release those now would be insanity in the extreme. So I expect to see something over the next months or two in plastic, simply due to the lead times involved. GW would have been preparing 'movie 2' (as it was then) kits before they had reliable sales data from AuJ. To then can everything one film into a 3 film series would be... an unusual strategy. But then, GW are an unusual company - attributing rational thought to them has in the past proven a futile endeavour.

Hopefully the limited nature of these new minis is comparable to goblin town or something, and not like the recent 'limited' releases that sell out in under an hour.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next