All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 am

Post subject: Hobbit third movie renamed!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I liked the title "There and Back Again". It was my favourite of all the titles, even the LOtR ones. Anyway, links below:

http://m.deadline.com/2014/04/peter-jac ... ve-armies/

It sort of then became a Hobbit
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit third movie renamed!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm, I liked it too but I guess it is okay with me.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like this one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Beat me to it Bofur lol. Always thought it would be The new name

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

only 25 minutes in the extended cut. Bummer, but I suppose that means he was able to keep most of the shots in the film (it was long) the first time.

I think the title is a good change, I always thought of the last film to be TBOTFA anyway, as really that is the only major thing going on. It does make me wish he had kept smaug's finale in the second film as now he is sharing the film with the necromancer and the battle which will almost make us forget all about him after the first 20 minutes (I doubt it but we are fans).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like both names because they are both chapters from the book. I never really liked the name "The Desolation of Smaug" because of that.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really liked the original title as it was quite poignant however it is reminiscent of the ROTK title which Tolkein hated, it simply gives to much information away. I really like the new title it is Epic and promises an epic action packed finale. I for one can not wait.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cooper101183 wrote:
I really liked the original title as it was quite poignant however it is reminiscent of the ROTK title which Tolkein hated, it simply gives to much information away. I really like the new title it is Epic and promises an epic action packed finale. I for one can not wait.

Couldn't agree more, I really liked the old title it had a nice poignant feel not so much in the sense of the movie but of the two trilogies added together. We're now on the last movie and that title felt like a good one to end it all, it felt right in regards to the Fellowship's story, Bilbo's story and the movies production. That being said the Battle of the Five Armies has a nice epic Return of the King feel which is also nice. The title now suits the epic nature of the third movie better with the necromancer, Smaug and the BotFA all happening in one movie the poignant and thoughtful title of 'There and Back Again' didn't really suit the movie that well.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think 'There and Back again' will be used somewhere down the line, as it is such a great title. Either as a boxset of the three Hobbit films or as an ultimate boxset of the Hobbit and Rings combined.

I have listened to the directors commentary a couple of times on unexpected journey and jackson has mentioned an Ultimate set many times. He also mentions editing the beginning of FOTR to show Martin Freemans Bilbo picking up the ring in place of Ian Holm. However he did say he would like the original version of the movie to remain available as well. Thoughts on this?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That would be interesting and it could bring the Hobbit a lot more in line with the LotR, if they edit Martin in and Holm out. And I think it is important to keep the original version.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I never really thought 'There and Back Again' suited the final film anyway, but I can't say I think 'The Battle of the Five Armies' is much better either. 'TABA' was too friendly for my liking. If PJ hadn't darkened his version of The Hobbit too much, and simply made it Bilbo's little adventure as it is in the books, then 'TABA' would have been perfect, but for what we have now, definitely not. 'TBOFA' also seems too obvious, too lengthy, too predictable, and also a bit boring. It does what it says on the tin, but there's no poetry to it. 'An Unexpected Journey' conjures images of magic and mystery, 'The Desolation of Smaug' brings a sense of danger and threat. All 'TBOFA' does for me is make me think, 'Oooo, this film will have a battle between five armies in it'....

Put it this way, if I was browsing films/books on a shelf, and I saw 'TBOFA', I'd probably overlook it, dismissing it as 'yet another' naive fantasy author trying to break into the realms of success, equal to those epic-scale works of fantasy with much more inspiring titles. Personally, I think PJ should have gone for something more dramatic, even the book's chapter titles would have done nicely:

'[A] Thief in the Night'
'The Gathering of the Clouds'
'The Clouds Burst'
'Fire and Water'
'The Last Stage'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

turwaitheon wrote:
That would be interesting and it could bring the Hobbit a lot more in line with the LotR, if they edit Martin in and Holm out. And I think it is important to keep the original version.

I also think it would be interesting. Personally I would also like the line 'and you haven't aged a day' edited out for continuity purposes. Listening to The directors commentary has revealed that something is definataly in the pipeline. The only forseeable problem with regards to an ultimate set is the fact that MGM had nothing to do with LOTR so Newline will be reluctant to share proceeds, unless a contract is negotiated.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Even without PJ talking about the two versions of the ring being picked up, as a person who regularly has to make non cannon things fit (cough Star Wars Fan Cough) I had already resolved this in my head.

In LOTR we see what Bilbo tells everyone, that he found it in the cave in the dark. He felt a bit guilty that he did take Smeagols ring, so instead, when penning the book in Rivendell he wrote it off a bit.
In the Hobbit film, we are seeing what really took place, not how an aged hobbit wrote it for people to read. So we see Bilbo pick up the ring, knowing it really as smeagols ring.

I think PJ should leave them alone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's like renaming "Titanic" "The Boat Sinks".

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know what you are saying Sithious, but the part where he picks up the ring is the prologue narrated by Galadriel.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The title is much less important than the content - yes, it is supposed to be memorable and an attention getter, but good titles do not make up for lousy films. Roll on December.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

cooper101183 wrote:
I know what you are saying Sithious, but the part where he picks up the ring is the prologue narrated by Galadriel.

Who is telling the story as she understands it, having heard it from Gandalf, who only originally had Bilbo's word to go on...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmmm....

I really liked 'There and back again' as an ending title...

That phrase has so much history in the hobbit & Lotr films anyway...

The battle of five armies doesn't have that ring to it....might as well call the two towers 'The battle of the Hornburg/Helms deep...

Meditate on this I shall...

:boromir

My WIP - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28272
The Red Book of Westmarch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mertaal wrote:
cooper101183 wrote:

Who is telling the story as she understands it, having heard it from Gandalf, who only originally had Bilbo's word to go on...

Really? In terms of conjecture, I don't believe she would be fooled by Bilbo's version anyway. This is Galadriel not some block headed Bracegirdle from Hardbottle. Nobody knew at that point it was the one ring. I don't think Gandalf would have told told Galadriel about a ring Bilbo happened to find, why would he? It takes Gandalf 13 years to find out the ring Bilbo found was in fact the one ring. At that point Bilbo in Rivendell reveals the true story. There is nothing in the books to say Galadriel was told by Gandalf. In the prologue she is telling the back story of the one ring, it has nothing to do with Bilbo's version.

I would be sad though if anything on the original movie was edited. There is also talk on the directors commentary of releasing the movies in Chronological order, What are your thoughts on this?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, there's a degree of conceit involved in the Galadriel commentary in any case. I guess the question of how she found out any of what she knew was moot, but I imagined that Gandalf shared some of what he was discovering with either Elrond or Galadriel. To my knowledge she never met Bilbo (I *think* the white council meeting in Rivendell was a Jacksonism, and not in the book?), or if she did, only before he'd found the ring.

Anyway, it's firmly a film and not a book thing in my eyes.